Memphis VA Dietetic Internship.
The following is a list of the rotations in the order I completed them during the internship and a brief description of the rotation.
- Employed concepts of motivational interviewing to counsel patients.
- Utilized the nutrition care process when recording visits with patients.
- Used knowledge of drug/medication interactions to provide better nutrition care.
- Provided group education through the VA move class, cooking class, and while presenting a case study on Hypercholesterolemia to the clinical staff.
- Assisted researcher in interviewing participants to be in diet study.
- Recorded inventory for food used in diet study.
- Prepared individualized meal plans for patients in high carb and high protein study groups.
- Assessed patient stage of change and utilized principles of motivational interviewing to encourage patient directed care.
- Assessd nutrition-related lab values related to dialysis patients.
- Collaborated with speech language pathologists to assess swallow study.
- Provided diet education to WIC participants.
- Taught cooking class at WIC clinic.
- Used growth charts to assess child growth and helped to measure and weigh children.
- Conducted supplement audit on patients recieving oral supplements.
- Assessed and helped develop protocol for following up with patients who are diagnosed with malnutrition.
- Learned how to evaluate productivity and how VA policy is implemented within RD management
- Shadowed advance practice RD.
- Made dietary and medication interventions for diabetic patients.
- Observed Metabolic Group led by RDN and NP.
- Provided diet education to patients with diabetes.
- Presented to clinical staff on antipsychotic use in diabetic population.
- Worked at Wings Cancer Treatment Center in community.
- Helped patients learn how to manage chemotherapy/radiation symptoms with nutrition.
- Presented current evidence to patients experiementing with controversial diets.
Spinal Cord Injury/Wound Care
- Calculated customized calorie and protein needs for paraplegics and quadraplegics.
- Provided modified recipies to encourage self-sufficency in food preparation with spinal cord injuries.
- Presented current research on zinc supplementation and wound healing.
- Performed productivity audits for RDNs and screening of dietetic technicians.
- Conducted research for purchasing new dishmachine for nutrition and food services and presented ideas to management team.
- Developed Food and Nutrition Services Strategic Goals developed to make VA NFS an Academy Nutrition and Dietetics a Center of Exellence.
- Wrote position descriptions for various positions within NFS as well as memorandums of understanding for space committee in hospital.
- Presented on a book titled "Leveraging Your Leadership Style" by John Jackson and Lorraine Bosse-Smith that highlighted principles of leadership.
Food Service Systems
- Conducted patient satisfaction surveys and provided suggestions for improvement.
- Learned how to conduct progressive discipline and observed hiring process within VA setting.
- Became familiar with VAMC diet manual and helped work tray line. Provided improvements based on experience.
- Attended environment of care rounds and inspection with food service mangers.
- Collected data for HACCP and evaluated results.
- Provided Green Initative for NFS to move to a more sustainable system.
- Helped with inventory and pricing for meal items for hospital.
- Created special meal plan that would fit all diets in hospital. Budget provided was $660 for 200 patients.
- Provided training to food service workers on the difference between cleaning and sanitizing.
- Presented results and improvements from experience to food service supervisors.
- Helped prepare meals for patients.
- Updated daily census to determine number of meals to prepare.
- Recorded temperatures for HACCP data.
- Calculated recipe conversions to cook correct amount with minimal waste.
- Conducted plate waste study.
Church Health Center
- Provided weight and diabetes management counseling in community setting.
- Taught diabetes class and cooking class at wellness center.
- Presented to health coaches about nutrition for cancer patients.
- Provided nutrition services to patients hospitalized with mental health disease or those recovering from substance abuse. Additionally, this rotation serviced patients with cardiac illness.
- Educated patients on low sodium, weight loss, and diabetic diets.
- Evaluated current research for making nutrition interventions in the mentally ill population.
Home Based Primary Care
- Provided medical nutrition therapy in an outpatient setting in patient homes.
- Help conduct inspection of medical foster homes.
- Referred low income patients to federally funded nutrition programs.
- Provided medical nutrition therapy to patients in ICU, observation units, and substance abuse patients.
- Used clinical judgement in providing protein and calorie recommendations in each patient's unique situation.
- Provided tube-feeding recomendations for patients with dysphagia.
- Presented case study on patient with Laryngeal Cancer.
School Food Service
- Evaluated nutritional content in menus for Cooking Up Change competition.
- Created Hawaiian theme meal plan to be served to high school students and presented idea to staff.
- Helped test products to be purchased by the central nutrition office.
Boling Center For Developmental Disabilities
- Observed metabolic RDs provide medical nutrition therapy to patients with metabolic disorders.
- Presented case study on Citrillinemia to clinical staff.
- Professional Development:
- Attended the Tennessee Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics meeting in Nashville.
- Participated in mock interviews and and resume writing exercises.
- Nutrition Support: To be completed.
- Pediatrics: To be completed.
- Geriatrics: To be completed.
- Staff relief: To be completed.
Evidence Analysis Project